Wrapped poppy seed cake: Tradition and the taste of Christmas
There is no Christmas without poppy seed cake. This delicious, filling baking is for many people the taste and smell of childhood, home full of warmth and joy. Most of us associate it with grandma's kitchen, where it accompanied the Christmas Eve evening, and then enjoyed the palate for the next few days. Poppy seed cake is a traditional Polish baking, which is somewhat forgotten outside of the holiday season, and yet its preparation is not that complicated at all as it might seem. All you need is a little patience, a proven recipe and a few basic ingredients to enjoy the taste of homemade poppy seed cake at any time of the year. This type of cake has many versions. It can be crispy, yeasty, with various additions, but we will focus on the traditional poppy seed cake wrapped in yeast dough, with a rich, sweet poppy seed filling. It is this poppy seed cake that most often appears on our Christmas tables, reminding us of family traditions and holidays spent with loved ones.
- 500g (17.6oz) wheat flour
- 25g (0.88oz) fresh yeast
- 80g (2.82oz) of sugar
- 250ml (8.45 fl oz) milk
- 2 eggs
- 100g (3.5oz) butter
- Pinch of salt
- 300g (10.6oz) poppy seeds
- 100g (3.5oz) sugar
- 100g (3.5oz) of honey
- 100g (3.5oz) raisins
- 50g (1.76oz) of walnuts
- The zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Prepare the solution: mix the yeast with sugar and a little warm milk. Leave for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Pour the flour into a bowl, add the leaven, the rest of the milk, eggs, butter and a pinch of salt. We knead a smooth dough, which we leave to rise for about 1 hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling: poppy seeds pour boiling water and leave for an hour. Then strain and grind three times.
- Add sugar, honey, raisins, nuts, lemon zest and butter to the poppy seeds. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Roll the risen dough into a rectangle, on which we put the filling, leaving the edges free.
- Roll the dough into a roll, starting from the long side. Seal the edges so that the filling does not spill out during baking.
- Place the poppy seed cake on a baking tray lined with baking paper, brush with beaten egg and bake in an oven preheated to 180°C (356°F) for about 40 minutes.
Preparation time: 2 h30 min
Cooking time: 40 min
Macro nutrients per 100 grams
Calories: 562.96 kcal
Carbohydrate: 23.69 g
Protein: 18.05 g
Fat: 44 g
And short story about LEET DIET
As a choreographer and aerial gymnast, I had always been interested in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Diets had been my hobby, but I never truly enjoyed them until I discovered the Keto diet. After reading numerous books about how our bodies work and the benefits of a high-fat, low-carb diet, I decided to give it a try. I never looked back. The Keto lifestyle quickly became my passion, and I began experimenting with new recipes and meal plans. That's when I decided to share my knowledge with the world and created Leet Diet, a website filled with delicious Keto-friendly recipes and helpful tips for anyone looking to adopt a healthy lifestyle.