Recipe for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with Young Cabbage
Stuffed cabbage rolls with young cabbage are a traditional Polish dish that is incredibly tasty and satisfying. Perfect for Sunday dinner, but also for everyday meals. In this article, you will learn how to prepare stuffed cabbage rolls with young cabbage using pearl barley or traditionally with rice.
- 1 young green cabbage
- 700 g (25 oz) ground pork (shoulder or ham) or turkey
- 100 g raw pearl barley or rice
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or balsamic vinegar
- salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon each of dried oregano, marjoram, and lovage
- 1.5 liters of broth or stock
- 500 ml (17 oz) tomato passata
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder + 1/3 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- Place the meat in a large bowl. Cook the pearl barley in lightly salted water (covered, for about 25 minutes, using 2 times more water than barley). Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package. Add the cooled pearl barley or rice to the bowl with the meat.
- Peel and grate the onion, add it to the meat and barley. Season with soy sauce or balsamic vinegar, salt (about half a teaspoon), pepper (1/4 teaspoon), and the remaining spices. Mix everything well and knead thoroughly by hand.
- Remove the core from the cabbage, then place it in a large pot of boiling water (cut side down) and cook for about 7 minutes over medium heat, then turn it over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the cabbage from the boiling water, let it cool, and discard the boiling water. Separate the cabbage leaves, trim the thick parts from the center of each leaf, and then place portions of the prepared meat on the leaves. Roll them up like croquettes (first fold one side of the leaf over the meat, then fold the sides inward, and then roll tightly to the end of the leaf). Not all of the cabbage needs to be used.
- Line the bottom of a large, preferably wide pot with a few cabbage leaves (e.g., torn ones). Place the cabbage rolls on top with the seams facing down. Bring the broth to a boil in another pot and pour it over the cabbage rolls. Place on the stove, cover, and cook for about 25-30 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
- Transfer the broth from the cabbage rolls to another pot. Add the tomato passata and the flour mixed with a few tablespoons of cold water. Bring to a boil, season with salt, pepper, paprika powder, and dried oregano. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Gradually mix the cream with the sauce, adding it by the spoonful to the cream while stirring. Pour the sauce into the pot with the cabbage rolls and cook the whole dish uncovered over low heat for about 10 minutes, shaking the pot occasionally to evenly distribute the sauce. Finally, add the chopped dill.
Stuffed cabbage rolls with young cabbage are a dish that will surely appeal to every fan of Polish cuisine. It is not only delicious but also healthy and nutritious. Enjoy!
Preparation time: 1 h
Cooking time: 50 min
Macro nutrients per 100 grams
Calories: 114 kcal
Carbohydrate: 10.2 g
Protein: 6.7 g
Fat: 5.2 g
And short story about LEET DIET
As a choreographer and aerial gymnast, I had always been interested in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Diets had been my hobby, but I never truly enjoyed them until I discovered the Keto diet. After reading numerous books about how our bodies work and the benefits of a high-fat, low-carb diet, I decided to give it a try. I never looked back. The Keto lifestyle quickly became my passion, and I began experimenting with new recipes and meal plans. That's when I decided to share my knowledge with the world and created Leet Diet, a website filled with delicious Keto-friendly recipes and helpful tips for anyone looking to adopt a healthy lifestyle.